How to create a WordPress website – In today’s digital age, every small business owner must have basic knowledge of how to build a website. It is an essential skill every business owner must have to survive in the modern age. You have three primary reasons as to why learning to build your site is essential.
- If you know how to build your own website, you can save tens of thousands of dollars in hiring WordPress website developer or designers.
- You can allow ample space for customization when you decide to build your own site. You can follow up with the latest market trends and put new things on your site. You can do so without taking a programmer’s help.
- Lastly, you can launch your websites on time without needing approvals from the developing team. This way, you get ample opportunity to stay ahead of the competition.
How to create a WordPress website
Therefore, we have compiled a step-by-step guide for WordPress website design and development. Shall we get started?
Step # 1: Choose WordPress as your website platform
How to create a WordPress website – You have so many platforms with which you can build your own site. The website platform, that gives you a lead in building one, is what is known as Content Management System (CMS). Via a CMS, you can get easy-to-use tools. Meaning, you can edit your site’s content without having knowledge of coding. WordPress becomes your one-shop one-stop hub that takes care of all your needs. Again, here are simple reasons as to why 34% of sites developed worldwide are done through WordPress!
- Free of charge
- Highly customizable-Provides DIY options for building theme wallpapers, widgets, and plugins.
- It is extra versatile- meaning it can run on any type of website
- Helps you create sites that are fast, optimized, and secure
- Above all, it is SEO-ready. This means you can make promotion an easier thing
To login into WordPress, all you must do is type in www.wordpress.org/
Step # 2- Pick a name for your site, buy a domain, and hosting
You must pick an ideal name for your website. This is the domain name for your site. Here are a few enticing steps on how you can construct one:
- Use a unique name that has never been used in the market. This is the name; you are going to create a brand for.
- The site name must be formulated in a simple and lucid manner. This way, your consumers find it easier to memorize.
- Choose a site name that is easy to type on the web browser.
- Include niche-related words as a part of your site name. Say, you intend to promote homemade pizzas; the site’s name can be www.enjoytastypizzasathome.org/. In other words, you must have a niche somewhere on the site.
Buying your domain name and hosting
You may wonder why you must purchase the domain name in the first place. You must buy the domain name as a hosting package as you then have a registered trademark identity for your site. No one else can take it away from you. You can choose a hosting firm to host your WordPress website. Here are reasons letting you know why:
- You can choose reliable hosting services as you have customizable plans to choose from.
- While you register a domain hosting via a reliable hosting service, you can get the domain name free.
- The hosting packages are available at a low cost per month.
- It is easy to use and beginner-friendly.
Here are steps on how you can configure a hosting domain for your WordPress site:
- You can choose a hosting plan from the hosting website.
- You can also register your domain name with Blue Host. It is free of charge
- You must install and configure WordPress via the hosting set up
- Finally, you get a fully operational WordPress site. You can have a tutorial on how to configure the hosting and domain name using the hosting provider you have chosen. You may have to fill an online form describing your personal details. The wizard will help you set up the domain name and hosting from the start.
Step # 3- Getting familiar with WordPress UI
WordPress website development has also a lot to do with getting yourself familiar with how the UI works. You can set up the User credentials for entering the site. You can log into the panel this way: www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/.
You then find the login Screen. You must enter your Username and Password. Choose a separate Username for your WordPress and not use your email id. Once you log in, you enter the homepage of your site. You find the following info on your home page!
- You can find a welcome message onboard.
- You have info on the current status of the site. You can know what is going on with it.
- Posts- You can go here and create blog posts.
- Media- You can choose the option to manage your image files, media, and video content from here.
- Pages- You can choose the option to create more pages or sub-pages
- Comments- this is the place where you can moderate comments
- Appearance- You can change the overall appearance or layout of the web design. You can add newer themes or change backgrounds from time to time. You can customize how things appear on your web screen.
- Plugins- You can install new plugins using the option
- Users- You can access or manage user accounts. You can add credentials of users who can access or manage the site at any given point in time.
- Settings- Here, you have the main settings.
Step # 4- Setting permalinks, making your site public, website title and tagline
Let me take it across section-wise.
- Setting permalinks- You must choose Settings- Permalinks. This way, you can create structured webpage addresses for your site. Every blog must take the same URL with the headline title of the blog.
- Making your site public- You must provide scope for Google to find and index your website. Settings– Reading— Discourage search engines from indexing your site (The checkboxes must be unchecked). You do this so that Google can read, index, and optimize your sites.
- Setting the website title and tagline- Settings—🡪 General. You can set site title and tagline fields the way you want to.
- You can enable or disable comments. This is the job for a moderator to pursue. In case you promote blog posts or articles, you have comments given by users. To enable or disable comments go to Settings – Discussion – Allow people to post comments for new articles (Check the box on this to allow. Uncheck the box to disallow)
Step # 5- Pick a theme or design for your website
Here, comes the most exciting bit. You can choose customized themes, backgrounds, and web design covers, for your site. You can allow your in-house designing team to play with fonts, designs, and cover imaging. You must quickly install the chosen web cover for the site. You can save content creation for future use. Once you select a design theme, you can include a nice whole caption to it.
For a starter, this is how it goes. For customizing the theme, here goes the step. Go to Appearance Customize. You can visit web-based tutorials on how you can choose, integrate, and customize a web design. You have hundreds of designs across web libraries. You can approach a renowned WordPress development company in case you are stuck in choosing thematic designs for your web layouts.
Step # 6- Choose plugins to expand your web capabilities
You can improve your web pages by a considerable deal when you decide to install plugins. Here is a couple of them for you to get hands-on to:
- Yoast SEO– You can make your own optimization tweaks to make the site more accessible amongst search engines.
- Google Analytics for WordPress– you can use this plugin to help you sail through network traffic in a compatible manner.
- Word Fence Security– This plugin can enhance the security of your website. Likewise, you have a few other plugins that can help you through website optimization and web page navigation in a streamlined manner.
Step # 7- Creating pages
You have designed your web page, added plugins and included themes, set up the permalinks, and lot many. Now is the time for you to create pages or subpages. You can create content at a later point in time. Now, let me place the emphasis on how to create pages for your website. Go to Pages- Add New (You find the option on the dashboard of your WordPress site)
Step # 8- Writing blog posts and publishing them
You can use headers, tag lines, add meta descriptions, and add content in sync with SEO standards. Create uniform content on each of your pages. You can add texts, visuals, images, and even video snippets. You can have a featured image set so that the right image appears before your blog content. Then, at last, hit on the Publish option to have the content or text published. You can upload changes to the blog posts too.
You can retain this online guide on “how to create a WordPress website” own site from the scratch. WordPress website development services can be availed by hiring experienced developers from a web development company. You are now all set to go.